Monday 18 May 2015

Road trip

Dear Suzy,

On Friday I joined in with a trip to see a nature reserve near Sevenoaks with Dave H.  I didn't get a chance to drive the van but I did get to sit on it!


 
 
Although it wasn't the sunniest day, the views were wonderful.   
 
 
 
In a few weeks time, there will be quite a few orchids out.  Dave pointed two that are growing already and will flower as it gets warmer.  This is a Common Spotted Orchid.  Can you see that the leaves have spots on them?
 

This is a Tweyblade Orchid and it has a pair of broad leaves that the flower spike grows up from.

 
 
Later on we found a Tweyblade Orchid in flower.  It's green so quite easy to miss but when you look closely they look a little bit like people. 
 

We heard lots of bird songs as we were walking around but I was a little bit scared of this pair of buzzards.  They are birds of prey that like to eat small mammals.

 

I shouted down the rabbit holes I found to tell my relatives to stay safe in their warrens.


 
These are reptile refugia and have been put down to create a warm spot for reptiles - like grass snakes and adders - to lie under and warm up.  Sadly, we didn't get to see any but they are quite new and over time there should get used more.  If I get the chance to go back, I will look again and let you know.



As we walked through some of the woodland we made a very interesting discovery.  This is an entrance to a badger sett.  There were lots of different entrances and I wanted to get as close as possible.  Dave made sure I didn't fall in.  He was looking for badger hairs as that would give us a clue if it is still being used by a family of badgers.  He managed to find one!

 
When I got home, I was exhausted from my exciting day out.  I had just enough time for a snooze so that I was ready for the disco in the evening.

 
 
Here I am ready to go and dance the night away.  Do you like my new dress?


 
 
Lots of love,
 
Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment