Thursday 14 May 2015

A day on the reserve

Dear Suzy,

On Tuesday morning I decided to go for an adventure.  I asked Alison if she would take me with her to go and work on the reserve with her volunteers to see what they get up to every week. 

Alison took my bag and put me in the truck, she even let me sit on her lap and have a quick go driving.  The truck is a bit too big for me to see out of the windscreen and turn the steering wheel though!

 
We stopped to check on the sheep on the way.  These are Herdwick sheep and they are a good way to keep the grass and weeds under control as they just munch away all day.  I tried to count them but it made me start to fall asleep zzzzzz. 
 
 
 
One of the important jobs that we needed to do today was put some fencing up around the reserve.  I'm not strong enough to help carry all the materials but I did try to help hold the fence posts in place.  And I could tell it if was straight or not.  This one looked good to me!
 
 
All that hard work made us very hungry and thirsty so we stopped for some lunch.  I had my cheese snack and chatted to all my new friends.  They are all very lovely and kind.
 
 
 
After lunch we did my favourite job of the day - flower counting.  We had to see what different wild flowers were growing on the reserve.  Do you know what I found?  It's a green-winged orchid.
 
 
All this excitement has worn me out. Time for a lie down to chill out and relax!  I'm going to sleep well tonight.


 

 
 Lots of love,

Bunny


No comments:

Post a Comment